Raw Materials Used In Desiccant Product Manufacturing
Better Performing Desiccant and Adsorbent Products like Silica Gel, Start with The Right Raw Materials
At Flow Dry Technology we have been supplying gaskets and adsorbent/desiccant products since the 1940's and we have developed a wide expertize and engineering experience working with many absorbent, desiccant materials. As well as developing our own materials we have also partnered with a number of reliable suppliers to provide best in class moisture management products, including silica and molecular sieve desiccant bags, strip bags, integrated filters etc.
Choosing the Right Adsorbent and Absorbent Materials For the Job
We have an extensive range of desiccant solutions including our well known SorbaTech® Silica Gel Bags range. We also make a number of other products including High Temperature Gaskets and automotive plugs & filters.
Innovative Custom Desiccant Bag Solutions and Supply
With all our adsorbent bag products we know that sometimes you may need something a little bit more special. For example:
- Different desiccant materials have different properties
- Different desiccant bag materials have different capabilities
- We also provide a range of integrated solutions where adsorbent materials can be integrated into things like lids, caps, and together with gaskets, produce multi-functional products like pill bottle lids with built in gasket and adsorbent molecular sieve or silica gel desiccant for the pharmaceutical industry.
To provide these custom desiccant bag solutions we also provide a custom desiccant bag product design and manufacturing service giving you access to years of experience of putting together the right materials to solve your sealing, drying and protecting needs.
Desiccant Bag Raw Materials
Desiccant Bag Manufacturing MaterialFlow-Dry® desiccant bags can be manufactured from a wide range of desiccant bag outer materials:
- Felt from 4 1/2 oz. to 11oz.
- Point Bonded Nylong (PBN) for anti-thumping within a system are commonly used and universal to most applications.
Desiccant Water Adsorbing Materials
Flow Dry® packaging equipment is designed in-house by Flow Dry Technology process engineers. Highly reliable and adaptive, Flow-Dry desiccant bag packaging equipment can provide a package with any available adsorbent or absorbent agent such as silica gel beads, molecular sieve, clay or other specified drying material. Although XH-7 and XH-9 from UOP are the most commonly used desiccants for automotive applications, packages can also be provided to meet application specifications using a variety of desiccant manufacturers including UOP, Zeochem, Grace, or ATOFINA.
- XH-7 & XH-9 Manufactured by UOP.
- Silica Gel desiccant beads
- Activated clay desiccant
- Activated carbon for moisture and odor management
- Indicating Silica Gel, shows when it's loaded with moisture
- AD-1 Molecular Sieve, different performance from Silica Gel - may be better for some desiccant applications.
- Molecular Sieve - Standard:Type 4A molecular sieve – other types molecular sieve products available for special applications.
- Blends of adsorbent materials to manage moisture, gases and odors.
- Custom adsorbents for customer specific requirements.
Flow Dry AD-1® Molecular Sieve AdsorbentFlow Dry® Technology AD-1® molecular sieve adsorbent was created in response to a strong market need for a high quality, high performing, yet economical desiccant for drying HFC-134a and other refrigerants. AD-1 provides a high quality solution which is more economic alternative to classical desiccants used to removed moisture from automotive air conditioning units.
The Benefits and Qualities of AD-1:
- High water capacity - In automotive air conditioning systems, the desiccant’s purpose is to remove moisture from the refrigerant. AD-1® molecular sieve delivers the same drying performance that users have come to expect from more expensive traditional materials.
- Strong resistance to attrition (wet and dry) - System vibration has always been an issue in refrigerant systems. Vibration can cause molecular sieve beads to move or rub against each other. This can cause dust to form from bead attrition, which can then cause premature system failure due to plugging, or excessive component wear. AD-1® molecular sieve exceeds the industry standards for attrition resistance making the worlds favorite choice for automotive applications. It is important to have excellent attrition resistance when the beads are dry – early in the system life, and when wet – as the system ages and the desiccant has adsorbed more moisture.
- High bead crush strength. - High bead crush strength signifies a durable product that can withstand the rigors of the dryer assembly process and the end use application. AD-1® desiccant exceeds industry expectations with superior bead crush strength.
- Density - Most air conditioning fluid dryers have a defined, but limited volume available for the desiccant. AD-1® desiccant’s density utilizes the right amount of space in a dryer providing a maximised surface area to volume ratio without compromising fluid flow through the matrix.
- Suitable chemical compatibility - AD-1® molecular sieve has proven chemically compatible with HFC-134a, as used in automotive air conditioning (A/C) systems. Of course it is also applicable in other ways and your Flow Dry Representative will be more than happy to discuss other refrigerant applications with you.
|AD-1® Molecular Sieve Automotive Adsorbent|
|Water Capacity (wt%)||17%|
|LOI 960º C, max (wt%)||1.0%|
|Density, min (lbs/ft3)||53 (0.848 gm/ml)|
|Crush, avg 25 beads, min (lbs.f)||14 (62.0 N)|
|Attrition, max (wt%)||2.0%|
Click here to understand more about the strict testing procedures we employ to ensure quality control and high performance.
AD-1® Bead Sizes Available:
AD-1® molecular sieve standard bead size is 8x12 mesh (2mm). Other bead sizes may be made available.
AD-1® molecular sieve production is rigorously tested, using advanced testing equipment and methods, for strict compliance to industry standards.
Safety and Handling
Contact Flow Dry's adsorbent experts for a free consultation about your desiccant and adsorbent requirements. We can also provide a copy of the AD-1® molecular sieve MSDS and our team are ready for any questions related to handling the products. We have a library of useful information and datasheets for the desiccants and adsorbent products we manufacture and supply. Also have a look at our news feed as we publish in depth articles about desiccants and answering questions like which desiccant is the right one for your needs?.